One of the most common health problems between dogs is urinary problems. The wrong food can make the problem worse, so in his article, we will discuss in detail how to support your pet urinary health and feed him the right food to overcome these diseases.
Dogs are very sensitive creatures and their urinary system is often infected with bacteria, which may lead to dangerous Urinary tract infections.
Dogs that suffer from Urinary Tract Infections are more liable to other urinary problems and need intensive care and special food and supplements. Food can have a big impact on your pet recovery, you should focus on the type of food you feed your dog.
Some consider urinary problems as a natural occurrence because of the dog’s diet, while some consider it as a serious problem. We offer you a list of the best dog food that can help improve the urinary health of your dogs, so let’s start.
Dog Food For Urinary Health Reviews
The first step before we start to list the products is the diagnosis, if your dog has any symptoms of urinary tract infection (Note: we will discuss these symptoms in details below ), you should take it to your veterinarian to make some tests to know which urinary problem your dog is suffering from.
Your vet may prescribe some antibiotics and other medications for your dog, on the other hand, you should feed your dog the right food to give him a complete and balanced diet without any interaction with the medications. The right food can also improve the effectiveness of the antibiotic.
Here is our list of the best dog foods for dogs with urinary problems.
1. Blue Buffalo Urinary Care Dog Food
Our first product on the list is Blue Buffalo, which is a well-known dog food and a trusted brand. Blue Buffalo offers many versions of dog food, but this one is special for dogs with urinary diseases. It is a High-Quality product with premium ingredients to support your dog’s urinary functions.
- For dogs with bladder stones, Blue Buffalo is considered as the best choice for this condition.
- This product not only helps your god to get rid of bladder stones but also can be a good way to prevent these stones from forming.
- The main feature of this product is that it is 100% grain-free, but contains enough fibers to make your dog feel full for a longer period and make the digestion process easier.
- Blue Buffalo is suitable for large, medium, and small dogs in all growth stages.
- The product is fortified with vitamins and minerals essential for your dog’s urinary tract health.
2. Purina Canine UR Urinary Dog Food
In another article about dogs with kidney disease, we mentioned that canned food is better than dry food as it contains more water content. According to the diagnosis of your dog and the severity of the infection, your vet will recommend the best food form for your dog. You should consider your dog’s appetite, some dogs prefer dry food, in this case, you can mix the dry food with canned oy with water.
- When you deal with urinary tract infection, you need dog food with specific features to support your dog’s health.
- Purina Canine is a product with great quality ingredients and is formulated specially for dogs with urinary disease to meet your dog demands.
- The formula contains essential items for urinary system health, not only this but also promotes the overall health of your dog.
- The manufacturer of the product formulates it to prevent the urinary stones from forming which makes it perfect for dogs with urinary stones.
- For the best result, you should know the weight of your dog, as the dose, you should give to your pet depends on its weight.
- Heavy dogs may need more than one cup daily from Purina Caninefor optimum results.
3. Firstmate Australian Lamb Dog Food
Another product for dogs with urinary infections, Firstmate Australian lamb dog food is grain-free dog food, rich in antioxidants, and vitamins essential for supporting your dog urinary system. It is a trusted brand and many dog owners prefer it over other brands because of its unique and tasty flavor.
- The main ingredient in this product is lamb meat with a great flavor to increase the appetite of most types of dogs. Most dogs always eat chicken flavor.
- IF you are searching for a new flavor to try, we recommend Firstmate Australian lamb as a great choice for your dog.
- The nutrients in the formula of this product will provide your dog with all the daily needs to fight this infection and restore its normal urinary function again in a very short time.
- Dogs that develop stones will find this product very useful, as it prevents the recurrence of these stones due to their premium ingredients.
- It is made without any ingredients that can cause allergies to your dogs, so you can use it safely with dogs who have a sensitive stomach or allergic to some food, but it is better to check the ingredients because there are dogs that are allergic to common foods and ingredients.
4. Hills U/D Non-Struvite Urinary Tract Dog Food
This product formulated specially for dogs suffering from urinary diseases with reduced levels of protein and calcium to prevent any chance of instances of bladder stones. Hills is a well-known dog food and a trusted brand for many years in the market.
- Hills Urinary Care will provide your dog with a complete and balanced meal rich in vitamins and nutrients with the right amount to ensure its recovery.
- Aside from its benefits to urinary health, it also contains other vitamins and minerals that would help improve the overall health of your dogs.
- L-carnitine and taurine are very essential for your dog’s heart, and the antioxidants will get rid of the free radicals which are responsible for the oxidation and aging of your dog cells.
- This product will improve the immune system of your dog and increase its immunity against bacterial infections.
- This dog food is considered as the best choice for dogs who are dealing with urinary health problems.
- IT will provide your dogs with all they need to overcome many health problems.
5. Royal Canin Urinary Dog Food
Finally the last product on our list today, and it is a unique product with amazing ingredients. It is the only dog food that can increase the volume of urine and also reduce the concentration of minerals that can form into kidney stones.
- Royal Canin is considered as medicinal dog food that contains compounds that will help remove urinary stones through urination.
- IT also prevents the formation of new stones by removing the concentration of minerals in the kidney.
- With the assistance of antibiotics that your veterinarian prescribed, Royal Canin will help your dog to be cured and fight the urinary infection of your pet.
- IT is a dry dog food suitable for all types of dogs with a small kibble size.
- contains Omega-3 fatty acids that will help fight with the infection and inflammation caused by urinary tract infection.
- contains a few amounts of phosphorus, protein, and magnesium to make sure that your dog would maintain good health.
Signs and Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection
Urination process in dogs is a critical issue, dogs urinate to remove all of the waste inside their body. Dogs might drip urine and mark a specific spot 15 to 20 times. These are perfectly normal, but How will you know if your dog has a urinary tract infection?
There are many symptoms of urinary tract infection, you can predict if your dog is normal or suffering from a specific urinary problem through them.
1. Urinating in Different Places
If your dog suffers from a urinary problem, he/she will urinate in different places. Most dogs are actually trained to urinate in a specific place in your house. Any changes in their urination training will mean that they are probably having a urinary problem.
2. The Foul Smell on The Urine
The smell of the urine may give you another clue. If you always accompany your dog when urinating, you can easily smell something wrong on the urine. If you think that the urine does not smell too good, it may be a sign of UTI.
3. Loss of Appetite
This is something that you will surely notice on your dogs. Basically, if your dog loses its appetite, it means that there is something wrong. It may or may not be because of UTI so make sure that you bring them to a vet if your dog lost its appetite.
4. Licking The Genitals Repeatedly
Licking the genitals repeatedly is another sign of urinary tract infection. If you noticed that your dog has been licking his/her genitals repeatedly, it may be a sign that they have UTI.
5. Loss Of Energy
Dogs with UTI are low on energy and don’t participate in activities, it may be a sign of urinary tract infection and you should ask your vet if you notice any changes in your dog behavior.
These are only some of the things that you should watch out for. If you noticed that your dog is showing these signs, you can bring them to your veterinarian for a checkup.
Treating Urinary Tract Infection with Dog Food and Diet
We mentioned above many tips about dealing with dogs with urinary disease, you already have an idea of urinary health of dogs and the possibility of them suffering from urinary tract infection.
Our next step will be simple dietary ways to deal with urinary tract infection without any problems، just keep reading.
Choose Canned Dog Food For Urinary Health
When you deal with a urinary infection the most important tip is to increase your dog consumption of water to help him to get rid of toxins and waste products, you should make sure that your dog is well hydrated.
Canned foods contain higher water content and dry food is basically dry. Dogs are not heavy water drinkers so you will have to adjust and make sure that they can have enough water when they have UTI.
Dry food or treats can be a good choice for your dog, but if your dog is dealing with UTI, you can keep it for a while and buy canned foods. There are many dry dog food brands that can be mixed with canned food to increase its water content. By increasing water intake, it will dilute the urine of your pet and help flush out the toxins.
High-Quality Dog Food
What do you mean by high-quality food? These are dog foods that are made from real and whole natural ingredients and there are no fillers or additives that are not really important.
Most dog foods right now contain fillers and additives that are not really healthy for the dogs. If you want to keep their immune system strong and prevent infections, you need to look for high-quality pet food.
We will list down some of the best dog foods in the market that you can try to improve the urinary health of your dogs and assist with the current treatment if they are suffering from UTI.
Give them Fresh Water Regularly
Wherever your dog is, you have to guarantee that your pets will always have fresh water especially if he/she suffers from urinary infection. Contaminated water may be the main cause of many health problems, fresh clean water is a must for rapid recovery from UTI infections.
For better results, If you are walking your dog out of the house, you need to bring fresh clean water with you. If they are eating, you need to make sure that there is freshwater beside them to encourage them to drink more.
You can offer the water to them and ask them to drink from time to time. You can also ask them to drink more water. If you are not in the house, you can ask someone to do this.
When your dogs are suffering from UTI, they will have to be treated with antibiotics. If it is severe, this is something that you cannot prevent.
They will have to take an antibiotic whether you like it or not. The best thing you can do is to find ways to improve the effectiveness of the antibiotic. Pineapple contains an enzyme called Bromelain. This particular enzyme can improve the effectiveness of certain antibiotic treatments.
However, before you do this, you should ask your vet if this particular supplement can actually improve the effectiveness of the antibiotic that your dog is currently taking.
If the vet told you that the UTI is not caused by stones, then you are free to give them cranberry extract. If the UTI is caused by stones, don’t use cranberry extract. It contains a lot of Vitamin C that may actually make the problem worse.
This is very effective if the UTI of your dog is not due to stones. Cranberry extract has a lot of Vitamin C, hippuric acid as well as antioxidants that will surely balance the PH of the bladder. It can also help decrease inflammation.
However, you have to take note that cranberry extract is not made for dogs with stones. You should never give them cranberry extract without consulting your veterinarian.
Important To You:
Urinary tract problems are very critical problems that may be the cause of dangerous circumstances on your pet, Dog food can be on of the causes of urinary problems as many dog foods contains high minerals levels that help in the formation of urinary and bladder stones, but there are also dog foods made to prevent it from happening.
You have to remember that dogs eat what you give them. It means that they don’t really know what you are giving them and they have no idea that it can have a negative effect on their health.
As the owner, it is your responsibility to make sure that your dogs remain healthy and they eat the right foods with the right nutrients.
If you want to prevent UTI and other urinary health issues, make sure that you give them the best dog foods that would improve their urinary health as well as their overall health.
You can choose the best for your dog from the list we mentioned above and ask your vet about the best for your pet according to its genera, weight, and adult stage. Don’t forget to let us know which dog food you choose, write it in the comments below, bye.